[PyKDE] Mail problem

Thorsten Horstmann Thorsten.Horstmann at web.de
Sun Aug 10 02:35:01 BST 2003

Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina wrote:
> Mh... This is because the list manager doesn't rewrites the Reply-To
> so it points to the list. There are bitter flame-wars everytime this
> issue arises, as either behaviours have its (usually fierce) own
> fanatics.

yes, that's true. Here is the point of view of the mailman docs:
"""
reply_goes_to_list (general): Where are replies to list messages
directed? Poster is strongly recommended for most mailing lists.

This option controls what Mailman does to the Reply-To: header in
messages flowing through this mailing list. When set to Poster, no
original message, it is not stripped. Setting this value to either This
list or Explicit address causes Mailman to insert a specific Reply-To:
header in all messages, overriding the header in the original message if
necessary (Explicit address inserts the value of reply_to_address).

There are many reasons not to introduce or override the Reply-To:
header. One is that some posters depend on their own Reply-To: settings
to convey their valid return address. Another is that modifying
for a general discussion of this issue. See
http://www.metasystema.org/essays/reply-to-useful.mhtml
for a dissenting opinion.

Some mailing lists have restricted posting privileges, with a parallel
list devoted to discussions. Examples are `patches' or `checkin' lists,
where software changes are posted by a revision control system, but
discussion about the changes occurs on a developers mailing list. To
support these types of mailing lists, select Explicit address and set
the Reply-To: address below to point to the parallel list.
"""

Personally I have no preference, so if the majority of the list wants
that mailman rewrite the Reply-To to the list address that's fine by me.