[PyKDE] [ANNOUNCE] Second release of PythonCAD now available.

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Sun Jan 12 19:04:00 GMT 2003

Hi.

I'm sending this announcement to the PyKDE list in hopes of making the
PyKDE developers aware of the project and hoping to stir up an interest
in a few to begin the development of a KDE interface to PythonCAD, as
well as adding a few more people to develop the PythonCAD core itself.
I'm going to install KDE-3.1 once it arrives, and get PyKDE installed
too. I have to admit I'll be an absolute novice in writing KDE code,
so I won't be any help for a while with interface coding issues for
quite some time. Still, I want to see PythonCAD had a KDE interface,
and want to make a contribution to the KDE project in general. So,
on we go to the announcement ...

I'd like to announce the second release of PythonCAD, a CAD package
for open-source software users. As the name implies, PythonCAD is
written entirely in Python. The goal of this project is to create
a fully scriptable drafting program that will match and eventually
exceed features found in commercial CAD software. PythonCAD is released
under the GNU Public License (GPL).

PythonCAD requires Python 2.2. The interface is GTK 2.0 based,
and uses the PyGTK module for interfacing to GTK. The design of
PythonCAD is built around the idea of separating the interface
from the back end as much as possible. By doing this, it is hoped
that both GNOME and KDE interfaces can be added to PythonCAD through
usage of the appropriate Python module. Addition of other interfaces
will depend on the availability of a Python module for that
particular interface and developer interest and action.

The second release fixes a few of the shortcomings in the initial release.
Setting linetype properties, color choice, and drawing entity style
are now done from the "Draw" menu. This release also adds some missing
functionality, such as the ability to change the linetype, color, and
style of the drawing entities, and the ability to move entities from
one layer to another. The Python code has had numerous doc strings added,
and various bug fixes have been applied.

Visit the PythonCAD web site for more information about what PythonCAD
does, and aims to be.

http://www.pythoncad.org

Come and join me in developing PythonCAD into a world class drafting
program!

Art Haas
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
 -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759