[PyKDE] Re: PyKDE package: errors

Philip Webb purslow at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 16 13:55:01 GMT 2003

I recently (030110) downloaded Sip 3.5 , PyQt 3.5 & PyKDE 3.3.2 .
I am using Mandrake Linux 9.0rc1 , which generally works correctly.
My machine has a Celeron 466 MHz with RAM 384 MB + swap 384 MB .

I finally installed it all, but your package needs fine-tuning.

Sip & PyQt compiled & installed without a problem, but PyQt took  c 2 hr :
you need to mention '-c' there (or more prominently).

With PyKDE I had to hand-edit build.py to delete 'checkPyQt' (df & call)
& hand-define the 2 variables:

  pyqt = 'PyQt-3.5'
  pyQtSipDir = '/root/libs/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5/sip'

the latter being where I had unpacked PyQt: surely it should check ./sip ?
This needs fixing.

Also, build took  30 min  & compile  90 min , even using '-c',
ie  4 hr  altogether for a total of  38 files  installed.
Is it not possible to provide these files on their own in a package?
The user has to download  150 MB  source to get  500 KB  installed files!

I hope this helps you & will help improve the package for other users.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca