[PyKDE] Re: PyKDE package: errors

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Jan 16 17:34:00 GMT 2003

On 15-Jan-03 Philip Webb wrote:
> I recently (030110) downloaded Sip 3.5 , PyQt 3.5 & PyKDE 3.3.2 .
> I am using Mandrake Linux 9.0rc1 , which generally works
> correctly.
> My machine has a Celeron 466 MHz with RAM 384 MB + swap 384 MB .
>
> I finally installed it all, but your package needs fine-tuning.
>
> Sip & PyQt compiled & installed without a problem, but PyQt took
> c 2 hr :
> you need to mention '-c' there (or more prominently).
>
> With PyKDE I had to hand-edit build.py to delete 'checkPyQt' (df
> & call)
> & hand-define the 2 variables:
>
>   pyqt = 'PyQt-3.5'
>   pyQtSipDir = '/root/libs/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5/sip'

PyKDE-3.3.2 is produced for sip and PyQt 3.3.2, although it will
work with sip and PyQt 3.5.  There is a command line switch (-v) for
setting the value of pyQtSipDir. (build.py -h)

> the latter being where I had unpacked PyQt: surely it should
> check ./sip ?
> This needs fixing.

It checks '../' for PyQt-<version>, among other "likely" locations.
The "PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5" location was not a "well-known" location at
the time of release of version 3.3.2. The next release will reflect
changes in nomenclature current at the time of that release. The
present search path is:

["../", "/usr/local/", "/usr/local/src/", "/usr/src/",\
"/usr/share/sip", "/usr/local/share/sip"]

> Also, build took  30 min  & compile  90 min , even using '-c',
> ie  4 hr  altogether for a total of  38 files  installed.
> Is it not possible to provide these files on their own in a
> package?

No - it depends on the sip, PyQt, Qt and KDE versions of the system
you're installing on. There are "unofficial" RPMs at
sourceforge.net/pykde, however it's unlikely that there will be
RPMs for rc1 distribution releases. My only releases are the PyKDE
tarballs.

My only experience with Celerons is compiling PyKDE on a 650MHz
Celeron. Without the '-c' switch it takes over three hours for
PyKDE alone.

> The user has to download  150 MB  source to get  500 KB
> installed files!

I'm not sure what you mean here -- PyKDE is under 4MB (tar.gz), PyQt
and sip are smaller. The installed files (libs) on the other hand
run somewhere 20MB vicinity (python/site-packages).

Jim