[PyKDE] Project Management (was Error when loading libqtc for PyQt3.7)

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Jul 12 01:01:00 BST 2003

On Friday July 11 2003 10:19, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> The problem really is that right now, PyKDE development is
> having a hard time keeping up with PyQt/sip development. This
> is due partly because the maintainer PyKDE (Jim Bublitz) is
> busy, and partly because the maintainer of PyQt (Phil
> Thompson) is not.

> I mean, everyone has this problem of maintaining two or three
> seperate versions of software as the software goes through
> major upgrades. That is unavoidable. The problems with sip,
> PyQt, and PyKDE is that we are going through major revisions
> quite often at this point, and unfortunately, Jim is not able
> to keep up with Phil's rapid pace, in addition to the short
> upgrade cycles.

The upgrade cycles are part of it - KDE also releases pretty
often. The other part is that there have been a lot of PyKDE
"infrastructure" improvements (tools, unit tests, examples, etc)
some of which went into the 3.5 release and delayed 3.6.

> The first solution in my mind is that we need to open up
> development of PyKDE so that it can keep up with PyQt. This is
> being done by Jim right now, so everything is good there.

I'm not sure what you mean here - if "open up" means more
frequent releases, I'm aiming for that. On the other hand, if it
means more participation in development (other than testing, bug
reports, patches, examples, etc), that's is pretty difficult.
I'd love to have half a dozen people working on PyKDE, but the
problem is that it's not modular like kernel development. The
PyKDE development process is pretty monolithic and
inter-related. I don't see any way to fix that at the moment,
and that (or me) is the biggest problem.