[PyKDE] Installation issues

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Thu Oct 2 16:41:01 BST 2003

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 17:35, Daniel Harker wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am currently running redhat 9, and thought it would be a good idea to
> install the rpm version of PyKDE 3.7-0.  I installed it, and everything
> seemed to be fine, but then when I sent to run slickbar, an aplication
> for superkaramba, it complained and said that I never installed it!
>
> This is the error message:

Could you provide a URL where I can get slickbar?

Please verify that you have sip, PyQt, and PyKDE installed. Run a command
like:
$ rpm -qa | grep "sip\|PyQt\|PyKDE"

You should see something like:
sip-3.7-1
PyQt-3.7-1
PyKDE-3.7-1

...but let me know what it says.

> Could not load PyKDE.  QuickLaunchPanel will not run without it it is
> available at: http://....ect...
>
> So naturally, I thought that maybe the rpm just didn't work with my
> system. So, I downloaded the source (tar.gz) and attempted to compile it.
>  When I did, it gave me this error:
>
> Couldn't import qt module from PyQT -- from like 698 in build.py

Can you try the following commands:
$ python
>>> import qt

I am interested in what it says.

> So it won't even compile!  :(
>
> I have a hunch that it might be one of 2 things:
>
> 1.  Maybe I need to include the PyKDE libraries in my bash.rc file since
> the rpm can't do that.

Do you mean the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable? Actually, they should be installed
in PYTHONPATH, or /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/. Python will pick up
the .so as a python library. You may see something like this in
site-packages:

$  ls /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ | grep "qt\|kde\|sip"
kdecore.py
kdecore.pyc
kdefx.py
kdefx.pyc
kdeprint.py
kdeprint.pyc
kdesu.py
kdesu.pyc
kdeui.py
kdeui.pyc
libkdecorecmodule.so
libkdecorecmodule.so.1
libkdecorecmodule.so.1.0
libkdecorecmodule.so.1.0.0
libkdefxcmodule.so
libkdefxcmodule.so.1
libkdefxcmodule.so.1.0
libkdefxcmodule.so.1.0.0
libkdeprintcmodule.so
libkdeprintcmodule.so.1
libkdeprintcmodule.so.1.0
libkdeprintcmodule.so.1.0.0
libkdesucmodule.so
libkdesucmodule.so.1
libkdesucmodule.so.1.0
libkdesucmodule.so.1.0.0
libkdeuicmodule.so
libkdeuicmodule.so.1
libkdeuicmodule.so.1.0
libkdeuicmodule.so.1.0.0
libqtcanvascmodule.so
libqtcanvascmodule.so.1
libqtcanvascmodule.so.1.0
libqtcanvascmodule.so.1.0.0
libqtcmodule.so
libqtcmodule.so.1
libqtcmodule.so.1.0
libqtcmodule.so.1.0.0
libqtextcmodule.so
libqtextcmodule.so.1
libqtextcmodule.so.1.0
libqtextcmodule.so.1.0.0
libqtglcmodule.so
libqtglcmodule.so.1
libqtglcmodule.so.1.0
libqtglcmodule.so.1.0.0
libqtnetworkcmodule.so
libqtnetworkcmodule.so.1
libqtnetworkcmodule.so.1.0
libqtnetworkcmodule.so.1.0.0
libqtsqlcmodule.so
libqtsqlcmodule.so.1
libqtsqlcmodule.so.1.0
libqtsqlcmodule.so.1.0.0
libqttablecmodule.so
libqttablecmodule.so.1
libqttablecmodule.so.1.0
libqttablecmodule.so.1.0.0
libqtuicmodule.so
libqtuicmodule.so.1
libqtuicmodule.so.1.0
libqtuicmodule.so.1.0.0
libqtxmlcmodule.so
libqtxmlcmodule.so.1
libqtxmlcmodule.so.1.0
libqtxmlcmodule.so.1.0.0
libsip.so
libsip.so.10
libsip.so.10.1
libsip.so.10.1.1
qtcanvas.py
qtcanvas.pyc
qtext.py
qtext.pyc
qtgl.py
qtgl.pyc
qtnetwork.py
qtnetwork.pyc
qt.py
qt.pyc
qtsql.py
qtsql.pyc
qttable.py
qttable.pyc
qtui.py
qtui.pyc
qtxml.py
qtxml.pyc

> 2.  Maybe PyQt wasn't installed correctly.  I got the rpm's at
> www.sourceforge.net.  So I don't see why they should have a problem.  :(

I am the guy who made those RPMs. I don't really have a machine to test
stuff on, and so I end up testing it on the machine that compiled it.
Sometimes there are problems. I am glad that you are pointing the problems
out. Let's get this figured out because maybe everyone is seeing the same
problems, and I am not getting any feedback.

- --
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Live Free, Use Linux!