[PyKDE] Droppint Qt 2 support from Debian sip/PyQt packages

Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina rcardenes at debian.org
Mon Apr 12 13:55:00 BST 2004

With the introduction of sip 3.10.1 on Debian, I've switched to the new
configure.py that Phil provides, aiming for a smoother change when sip
4.0 arrives. Along with this, I'm:

  * dropping support for Python < 2.3
  * dropping support for Qt 2

There are various reasons for this. First, IIRC, Phil has stated before
that sip/PyQt 4.0 will do just like that. Second, Python 2.3 is the
default Python for Debian testing/untable, and have been there for a long
time now. Third, after dropping KDE2 in favour of KDE3, sip/PyQt are two
of the only few dependencies that still refrain Qt2 maintainers to finally
remove it from Debian.

So I'm sending a petition to the Debian FTP masters to remove sip-qt2
and python-qt2 sources and all their binary packages from testing and
unstable, as they have become unbuildable from source and to help
getting Qt v2 out of Debian (at last).

If there's (still!) someone using pyqt and libsip from Woody (v 2.5!!),
this change won't affect you even when upgrading to Sarge, due to
differences on the package naming.

If someone expects to be using PyQt/Qt2 in the future (compatibility
with production environments already running) with Debian, you can still
contact me (or your nearest developer) to ask support about it, but only
to the extent that sip/PyQt allows us (ie, versions < 4.0). The same
goes for anyone that wants support for Python < 2.3 with PyQt/Qt3

Regards,
	Ricardo