[review] [PyKDE] pykde build failure

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Feb 15 06:19:01 GMT 2004

On Saturday February 14 2004 12:35, Florian Idelberger wrote:
> qglobal.h ['/usr/share/qt3/include', ['/usr/share/qt3/lib']]
> Qt version is 3.2.3

The original error is the ['/usr/share/qt3/lib'] - should just be
'/usr/share/qt3/lib' (remove the outer [] in lines 605 and 607,
but it seems to be working now anyway).

> PyQt lib directory is /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
> PyQt lib version is snapshot-20040104

> *** Error: PyQt sip files directory -- not found

There are two problems here: the first is that the snapshot uses
a different sip directory structure (one subdir per module,
rather than all modules in a single subdir); the second is worse
- PyKDE won't build with this version of PyQt (it needs PyQt AND
sip 3.8.x)

The best alternative at this point is to wait for the next PyKDE
release, which won't have as screwed up a build system, and will
support any released KDE 3.x.x through 3.2.0. I'm hoping that
won't be much more than a week, although I'm getting some really
weird problems at the moment. That will also require a new
sip/PyQt version (the current 20040211 snapshot will work or
3.10.1 if that's released by then).

Sorry for the problems - PyKDE 3.8 turned out to be a real mess
to install. Better things are in the works.

Jim