[PyKDE] Custom interface

Eron Lloyd elloyd at lancaster.lib.pa.us
Fri Jan 9 17:33:01 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm working on a major PyQt project implementing a complete open-source
election system. One of my major challenges is developing a fully-functional
on-screen ballot display widget, to present information to the voter and
provide input methods to cast votes. I want the interface to be able to
mirror a high-quality paper-ballot as much as possible, and therefore will
probably have do extensive custom-widget work. My biggest concern is in the
area of ballot layout; ballots usually take on a table-based interface, but I
have a much different set of needs than QTable seems to provide. Attached is
a mock-up of a sample ballot done in OpenOffice.org using their fantastic
table support; this is more along the lines of my requirements, including
cell/row spanning, custom borders, background/foreground/border colors,
spacing/padding, and input areas. To my knowledge nothing similar to this
exists, and I know KWord has been having major difficulties producing a good
table class for documents. Any suggestions? I know Qt can probably do it but
I'm not expert at all. I see some potential in QCanvas...

Thanks!

--
Eron Lloyd
Technology Coordinator