[PyKDE] PyQt application packagers for windows?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 03:38:15 GMT 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 2:24 pm, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering. If someone writes a nice, very free (as in BSD or
> public domain) app using PyQt, would it be legal if someone having a
> windows license would pack it into an installer and distribute it?
>
> I know it wouldn't break the application license, and I am expecting it
> not to break the PyQt-windows license either.
>
> If the riverbank guys approve, this would be nice :-)

The package could only include the application - it could not include PyQt or
Qt - in which case there is no problem.

The users would then have to obtain PyQt and Qt for themselves.

The application license must be compatible with the user's PyQt/Qt license,
ie. BSD is fine, GPL isn't.

There is then the thorny issue of what version of Qt you used to develop the
application - you should use (or at least pay for) a version that is
compatible with whatever your users are using, ie. not GPL. My personal view
on this is that I'm happy for you to develop using the GPL version - so long
as your Windows users buy the commercial version of PyQt.