[PyKDE] Starting a project in PyKDE

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Sep 23 17:51:41 BST 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 07:59, Joseph Rawson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My project is named Konsultant, and it is a simple database application for
> a small team of consultants to manage clients and tickets.  There is not
> much more than a main window and a couple of dialogs right now.  I am
> trying to concentrate on making some of the base layout and objects, to
> make it easier to maintain and work with.
>
> The project is located at http://developer.berlios.de/projects/konsultant
>
> I have just started programming in PyKDE.  I have been using pygtk since
> around year 2000.  I have decided for various reasons to leave the GNOME
> environment for KDE.  I have been searching the web for tutorials, docs,
> applications, etc.  While I have found a wealth of information on pyqt,
> there is not as much I for pykde specifically.  What I have been searching
> for is a skeleton or example of a full pykde application to work from.
>
> There are a couple of things that I am having serious trouble getting to
> work, or even understanding it enough to know why it's not working.  One of
> these problems is the many KConfig objects.  This is one of the places that
> the pyqt information doesn't do me any good.  The KSimpleConfig object
> seems to work fine, but I can't get the KConfigSkeleton, the
> KConfigDialogManager and the KConfigDialog to work together or work with
> the KSimpleConfig object.
>
> If somebody could point me in the right direction to find what i'm looking
> for, I would be grateful.

I don't have anything put together for the KConfig related stuff - if someone
is using it and could donate some code that would be helpful.

The kdelibs API docs should provide some help with this. They're available at
kde.org, and usually install with the kdelibs*-devel-doc  package if you
install from rpms.

Jim