[PyKDE] Starting a project in PyKDE

Joseph Rawson umeboshi at gregscomputerservice.com
Fri Sep 24 01:43:27 BST 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 11:51, Jim Bublitz wrote:

> I don't have anything put together for the KConfig related stuff - if
> someone is using it and could donate some code that would be helpful.
>
> The kdelibs API docs should provide some help with this. They're available
> at kde.org, and usually install with the kdelibs*-devel-doc  package if you
> install from rpms.
I have certainly been reading them, but I'll be more specific about the
problem I'm having.  As I understand things so far, KApplication.config()
returns a KConfig object that references kdeglobals.  I have a KSimpleConfig
object that references konsultantrc in the default config path.  I would like
to make a KConfigDialog that also references konsultantrc, but KConfigDialog
requires a KConfigSkeleton.  When I make a KConfigSkeleton object and pass it
to KConfigDialog there is always a segfault.  This is the case if
KConfigSkeleton is empty, or if it is filled with the contents of
KSimpleConfig.  I feel like I'm overlooking something important, but I don't
know what.

I suppose that the main reason I see pyqt used exclusively so much is because
it travels further than pykde, i.e. more platforms or less requirements.  I
actually had the same problem with pygnome/pygtk for quite a while.  There a
quite a lot more pygnome applications now, than when I started, so a person
learning pygnome wouldn't have as difficult a time as I did.  Having pykde as
part of kde saved me the trouble of making my own package, so I guess it is
just a matter of time before pykde becomes more popular.

Thanks.
Joseph Rawson