[PyKDE] eric3 anti-aliasing problem (!?)

Solly Brown sollyb at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Sep 25 11:38:25 BST 2004

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Torsten Marek wrote:

> Solly Brown wrote:
> | I've heard lots of good things about eric3 (python editor) and so
> | installed it a couple of days ago.
> |
> | However, it's virtually unusable because the fonts in the main editor
> | window are extremely ragged/chunky. It appears as though anti-aliasing
> | has been turned off, but I can't find anywhere to toggle it back on.
> |
> | I've tried changing the font under preferences->editor->source but all
> | the fonts appear to be having the same problem. I've been able to get
> | files to look ok by turning on "use monospaced font" (which appears much
> | smoother), but it's annoying to have to do it for every file I open (and
> | I'd prefer not to have to use monospaced fonts all the time).
> |
> | Can anyone help out and tell me how I can fix it? This is the only app
> | I'm running that has this problem, so it doesn't appear to be a
> | system-wide thing.
> |
> | Hope you can help...!
> |
> | Cheers, Solly
> |
> | ps. The icons on the task bar also don't appear to be anti-aliased and
> | are a bit ugly as a result
> |
> Hello,
>
> anti-aliasing has nothing do to with eric3 (and you should not find an option
> switch it on in eric3). However, you can use qtconfig to tune the look and
> behaviour of all Qt programs. If you don't like the icons, get the latest
> snapshot, it has a new icon theme.
>
> greetings
>
> Torsten

Thanks for your feedback Torsten =)

I've checked qtconfig and anti-aliasing is already turned on (which makes
sense since I don't have this anti-aliasing problem with any other qt
application eg. designer). In fact, the fonts in the menu-bar, tabs, and
dialogs in eric3 are perfectly ok too... for some reason it's just the
main text editing window/widget in eric3 which seems unable to produce
anti-aliased text.

Actually, as I mentioned before, if I switch on "use mono-spaced font" in
eric3 then the anti-aliasing magically appears (only for the current file,
and only mono-spaced). Something wacky going on there...

I've tried tweaking various bits in qtconfig for the past hour or so, but
to no avail. It's definitely not right though -- the text is *really*
blocky in the main eric3 text edit widget, and I've seen eric3 on other
machines with perfectly normal (ie. smooth-looking) text.

Hmmm, and why is the mono-spaced font ok?

Any other ideas?

Solly