[PyKDE] eric3 anti-aliasing problem (!?)

Sundance sundance at ierne.eu.org
Sat Sep 25 13:10:46 BST 2004

I heard Solly Brown said:

> In fact, the fonts in the
> menu-bar, tabs, and dialogs in eric3 are perfectly ok too... for some
> reason it's just the main text editing window/widget in eric3 which
> seems unable to produce anti-aliased text.

Hello Solly!

Okay, could you maybe upload a screenshot somewhere to give us a better
idea of the issue? Who knows, maybe it's just one silly detail that we
overlooked. :)

Fonts are Just Fine(c) here, so the problem might be on your end. I
don't use monospace fonts either, but everything is stll smooth and
antialiased and a delight to the eye. Yes it is.

If I can venture a blind guess, your problem looks like some font
substitution resolving into a bitmap font, which thus doesn't scale and
cannot be antialiased. (Bitmap fonts should die. Once I tried to remove
them all, leaving only the pure, pristine Type1 and FreeType fonts.
XFree refused to start. I hate XFree.)

In short... Go into Eric3's preferences and set some known-to-work font
as the default. Courier New remains my fav' monospace font; for regular
fonts, I use either good old faithful Arial, or Nimbus Sans L. If
you're short on vectorial fonts, don't be afraid to install those from
Microsoft, they're pretty darn fine. And they don't crash. You can get
them off http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/. The Nimbus fonts come with
Ghostscript.

There, this SHOULD help. I hope.

Bye,