[PyKDE] UI on the fly - in Python

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Feb 10 18:14:50 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 February 2005 17:34, Torsten Marek wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I'm sorry for my silence, but I'm deeply into a lot of other stuff
> right now (exams, getting an intership), there's not too much time
> left. I definitely put the code online once it is in a good shape.
> For now, I'd like to have some real-world examples of designer ui
> files, because I'm getting tired of making them up myself;-)
> I think I got the basic handling for widgets/layouts right, right
> now I'm working on support for (more complex) widgets, connections
> and default attributes. Also, I'll add a code output backend to use
> it as a Python version of pyuic (if you still want to have it,
> Phil).

While at it, pylupdate behaves pathologic in several ways to. I just
haven't found a deterministic fashion of its breakage..

At least, it doesn't like triple quotes, and whether it picks up
self.__tr() strings or not is somwhat related to the phase of moon.

So the long term solution would be python based pyuic and pylupdate
implementations. Finished with that, we should tackle our own
designer implementation. If done in a modular fashion, I can imagine
designer based extension modules, where database frontends are able
to offer its users a way to design the data masks, reports, and the
like..

Cheers,
Pete