[PyKDE] UI on the fly - in Python

Eli Yukelzon reflog at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:01:26 GMT 2005

Well, I don't know where you're taking this - but where ever that is -
I like the direction :)
I'm writing my first public open source project in PyQt/PyKde , and
went from using pyuic and realizing it's strengths and weaknesses ,
and now working with more dynamic approach, so any development in this
area is extremly interesting.
Anyhow, if you plan to publish the code and allow participation in
developing it - I would be very interested to join in.

P.S. if anyone's curious, I'm developing PyQLogger
(http://pyqlogger.berlios.de) a friendly and comfy UI for blogging.

cheers,

Eli Yukelzon

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:28:05 +0100, Torsten Marek <shlomme at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hans-Peter Jansen schrieb:
> | On Thursday 10 February 2005 17:34, Torsten Marek wrote:
> |
> |>Hello again,
> |>
> |>I'm sorry for my silence, but I'm deeply into a lot of other stuff
> |>right now (exams, getting an intership), there's not too much time
> |>left. I definitely put the code online once it is in a good shape.
> |>For now, I'd like to have some real-world examples of designer ui
> |>files, because I'm getting tired of making them up myself;-)
> |>I think I got the basic handling for widgets/layouts right, right
> |>now I'm working on support for (more complex) widgets, connections
> |>and default attributes. Also, I'll add a code output backend to use
> |>it as a Python version of pyuic (if you still want to have it,
> |>Phil).
> |

> | While at it, pylupdate behaves pathologic in several ways to. I just
> | haven't found a deterministic fashion of its breakage..
> |
> | At least, it doesn't like triple quotes, and whether it picks up
> | self.__tr() strings or not is somwhat related to the phase of moon.
>
> Well, what isn't? I only write software when the moon is increasing.
> Additionally, I often sacrifice some non-Python code to the great /dev/null.
>

> | So the long term solution would be python based pyuic and pylupdate
> | implementations. Finished with that, we should tackle our own
> | designer implementation. If done in a modular fashion, I can imagine
> | designer based extension modules, where database frontends are able
> | to offer its users a way to design the data masks, reports, and the
> | like..
> |
> | Cheers,
> | Pete
> Hi,
>
> I'm no expert on this, but if we get a parse tree of a Python file (is this
> possible from within Python?), we could just walk the tree and put the argument
> to every __tr (or whatever else) call into the message file.
>
> As for the designer replacement: Do you plan world domination before or after
> 2010? I'd rather wait for the new designer in Qt4 first (they ditched that
> horrible MDI interface! finally!).
>

> greetings
>
> Torsten
>
> - --
> Torsten Marek <shlomme at gmx.net>
> ID: A244C858 -- FP: 1902 0002 5DFC 856B F146  894C 7CC5 451E A244 C858
> Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net

2B OR NOT 2B = FF