[PyKDE] ANN: SIP v4.2rc2 Released

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 09:24:36 GMT 2005

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:00:52 -0000 (GMT)
> "Phil Thompson" <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> What version of Qt are you using? There was some talk of the Debian
>> version of Qt leaking memory.
>
> I'm using the latest Qt-mt library from Debian unstable, 3.3.3
> (3:3.3.3-8).
> What version are you using?

Qt 3.3.4 from Trolltech.

> I'm attaching a C++ test and his output, in my machine it leaks, but much
> more
> slowly than the previous python script. Also, the leak rate seems to be
> more
> constant than the python one.
>
> Is possible that a Qt bug is impeding pyqt to deallocate his objects, so
> the Qt
> leak get bigger by having attached the pyqt objects?

Yes that's quite possible, but I wouldn't expect the impact to be dramatic.

The most likely cause of memory leak in PyQt is the SIP the table that
maps Python objects to the address of the corresponding C++ instance. I've
gone over this code in detail for 4.2rc2 with other long running scripts
that create and destroy lots of widgets, so I'm reasonably confident in
it.

> Btw, if you want, I can provide ssh access to the machine where this bug
> happens.
>
> Ricardo: Maybe it will be helpful if you post your tests to the list.

I'll run your tests before I release 4.2 to make sure that there is no
current leak.