[PyKDE] SIP and distutils

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 15:58:22 BST 2005

> Hello,
>
> SIP uses sipconfig as build system. The documentation hints something
> about
> integration with distutils, but it doesn't go into details. Given the
> amount
> of development that it is going on with distutils (setuptools,
> easyinstall,
> .egg packages, etc.) I believe it would be helpful if SIP shipped with a
> more tight integration with distutils. I'd be happy to contirbute it
> (since
> I start needing it) if I could get some details on the right way of doing
> it.
>
> Anybody has previous experience on this? Phil, what do you suggest?

The hint was simply remarking that, as both are written in Python, it
should be easy enough to glue them together in some way.

The main requirement for PyQt is that it must be built with exactly the
same flags as was used to build Qt. Hence the build system must parse the
qmake configuration, so any integration would involve distutils extracting
that information from sipconfig.py/pyqtconfig.py.

Note that the build system has changed with current SIP and PyQt snapshots
in that SIP doesn't know anything about the Qt installation anymore. It
would now be possible (I think) to throw away the current build system an
use distutils for SIP and qmake for PyQt.

I'm happy to accept patches (after further discussion). Anything that
reduces the amount of code I maintain, makes thing more familiar for
Python people, or exploits work done by others is fine by me.