[PyKDE] pykde segfaults

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Tue Sep 6 20:42:57 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 6. September 2005 18:30 schrieb Jim Bublitz:
> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 05:19, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> > Jim Bublitz <jbublitz at nwinternet.com> wrote:
> > > You're using QApplication instead of KApplication. If you add:
> > >
> > >    from kdecore import KApplication
> > >
> > > and change
> > >
> > >    app = QApplication (sys.argv)

> > >    app = KApplication (sys.argv,  "")
> > >
> > > it won't segfault (doesn't appear to display everything the way
> > > you
> >
> > probably
> >
> > > intend - didn't troubleshoot that).
> >
> > Out of curiosity, couldn't this be checked to generate an Exception
> > instead of a segfault?
>
> Yes, but it would seem to require that I identify and modify the C++
> code for every KDE construct that requires KApplication.

..which would catch exactly one simple programmer error, while thousands
of similar failures still lead to segfaults (garbage in -> crash)!
Neither Qt nor KDE are programmer friendly in this regard, and neither
Phil nor Jim are able to fix that unfortunate situation for us.
IMHO, they shouldn't even try! Blame the originators in the game ;-)

Pete