[PyKDE] Newbie getting started on Debian

Jon jonlistmail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:46:33 BST 2005

Hi all

I'm new to PyQt/PyKDE programming and want to get started on Debian
testing (etch).

It appears the Qt bindings are in there but the KDE bindings are
missing. What are my options for getting it going? I looked on Torsten
Marek's site: http://diotavelli.net/files/deb/binary

but I think those packages are only for sid (?). I looked on the
official maintainer's site, but again didn't seem to find any suitable
packages.

I tried looked at the packages overview for the official maintainer
here: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rcardenes

but to be honest I didn't really know what I was looking at (I'm kinda
tired at this stage).

I notice the bindings appear to be in sid but there's a grave bug marked
against python-kde3 saying it isn't installable.

Next I figure I'll compile the latest snapshot of PyKDE from the
Riverbank site, but after some minutes I get a compile error in the
kdeui module (looks like a GCC 4 problem).

Thanks,
Jon