[PyKDE] pyQt/Qt 4.2/QDBus?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sat Aug 26 23:42:42 BST 2006

On Sat Aug 26 20:20:01 MEST 2006, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Saturday 26 August 2006 6:52 pm, Gary Cramblitt wrote:

> > As a SIP/PyQt newbie, what are chances I could build against Qt 4.2
> > myself?  What's involved?  I would need to write .sip files for QDBus?
> > Has anybody else started this work? (Need to start working on Orca
> > integration ASAP).
>
> Feel free to write the necessary .sip files - read the SIP documentation and
> the existing PyQt4 .sip files. However I won't use anything you produce as I
> have an automated method of generating .sip files.

I had a quick look at building PyQt4 against Qt 4.2 to test that some
existing features in Qt 4.1 still worked as intended with PyQt4.

The first problem I encountered was some build system changes in Qt 4.2 that
required changes to the way sipconfig handles qmake.conf files. Fortunately,
the quick hacks I made to the parse_build_macros() function didn't take too
much work.

You will need to "fix" some existing .sip files to declare private
constructors for some classes. Then you'll be able to add a QtDBus module to
PyQt and get started with writing .sip files for it.

I haven't looked closely at this module, so I don't know if it will be as
simple to write .sip files as it is for some of the standard Qt classes.
A brief glance at the header files indicates that the public classes (the
only ones you need to care about) should be straightforward to wrap, but
there appear to be lots of streaming operators - I don't know if they are
easy to handle or not.

Let us know if you have problems or need guidance. We can all improve our
SIP skills at the same time. ;-)

David