[PyKDE] Social network analysis of PyKDE and KDE contributors survey

Matthias Studer Matthias.Studer at metri.unige.ch
Mon Aug 28 15:28:35 BST 2006

Dear all,

I have done a social network analysis of PyKDE mailing lists you can
find it here : http://www.ired.org/kdesurvey/sna/pykde.htm
(analysis of all KDE mailing lists:
http://www.ired.org/kdesurvey/sna/ml_net.html). If you want to
know which node you are, please send me a mail (or for comments). To
correctly interpret these first results I need you to answer a
questionnaire: http://www.ired.org/kdesurvey/

I’m currently doing a research in sociology about social identity in
KDE (including PyKDE). This study addresses the community as a whole
including the package maintainers, the translators, the developers, bug
reporters, etc.
*We invite all contributing persons* to answer this questionnaire
http://www.ired.org/kdesurvey/ It takes *15 minutes only*.

*A lucky respondent will receive an Amazon Voucher of 75 EURO*. The
survey will end the 30 of August. People that have already responded are
automatically included. The winner will be announced on kde-devel list.

After answering the questionnaire, you will receive a graph resuming
your participation and will then be free to post it on our server
(http://www.ired.org/kdesurvey/alluser.php), if you so desire. Please
email me if you haven't received it, I have received some wrong mail
addresses.

The final report will be freely available. You will be notified about it.

Thank you very much for your participation and to all people that
already answered the questionnaire!

Matthias Studer
matthias.studer at metri.unige.ch
http://www.ired.org/matthias/

I sincerely apologize for the spammish nature of this e-mail, I don't
mean to abuse this list.

This study aims to understand the processes of construction of a social
identity in a mature Free/Libre Open Source Software project taking KDE
as a case study. It aims to understand how this social identity evolves
over time and how it is related to a participation trajectory (history
of participation inside the project). We also want to understand the
relation between social identity and more traditional dimensions such as
socio-economic factors, motivation, gift dynamics and Free/Libre Open
Source Software ethics.