[PyKDE] Pytray

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Aug 31 22:50:05 BST 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 16:03, David Boddie wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:11:58 +1000, Gavin wrote:
> > So I wrote a small but fairly useful python program
> > that I thought would make a good applet. Then on attempting to
> > dock/imbed it in the kde kicker I find that this procedure
> > is causing a lot of people pain.
>
> It can be an "interesting" experience, yes.
>
> > So here's the question is it not possible/easier to build
> > a C applet/tray that will swallow any python script written for it?
>
> That's what happened in the end. Jim Bublitz and I made lots of different
> prototypes, but there always seemed to be something or other than didn't
> work as expected. :-/
>
> > Kind of along the same lines as the 'System Tray' or 'Task Bar'
> > call it perhaps 'Python Tray/Bar'. Then all the user has to do
> > is load it and point its config to the python script/s.
>
> Jim actually wrote a tool to add Python scripts to the panel. I turned it
> into a Control Centre module at one point but, until Simon Edwards got
> round to writing PyKDE Extensions*, it was pretty much undeployable on any
> other machine than my own.
>
>  * http://www.simonzone.com/software/pykdeextensions/
>
> > The 'Dock Application Bar' does this for dock apps but it's
> > not very flexible. Perhaps I'm missing some terrible complication
> > or maybe someone already knows exactly how this could be cleanly done?
> > Either way please let me know any thoughts
> > gavinkz(at)webmail(dot)co(dot)za. I would be happy to offer my meager
> > coding and testing skills at which point I guess I would subscribe
>
> I should probably take another look at this and just upload what I have
> to a site somewhere.

I started putting something like this together - I think KPanelApplet and
KPanelExtension work OK, and the installer also works. I got hung up on some
other features and never got around to finishing or releasing it. I think
I've sent someone a copy in the last few months, but don't recall any
feedback.

I've decided to put it aside until KDE 4 is released, and will probably get
back to it some time after that..

Jim