[PyKDE] Pytray

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Tue Aug 29 00:03:21 BST 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:11:58 +1000, Gavin wrote:

> So I wrote a small but fairly useful python program
> that I thought would make a good applet. Then on attempting to
> dock/imbed it in the kde kicker I find that this procedure
> is causing a lot of people pain.

It can be an "interesting" experience, yes.

> So here's the question is it not possible/easier to build
> a C applet/tray that will swallow any python script written for it?

That's what happened in the end. Jim Bublitz and I made lots of different
prototypes, but there always seemed to be something or other than didn't
work as expected. :-/

> Kind of along the same lines as the 'System Tray' or 'Task Bar'
> call it perhaps 'Python Tray/Bar'. Then all the user has to do
> is load it and point its config to the python script/s.

Jim actually wrote a tool to add Python scripts to the panel. I turned it
into a Control Centre module at one point but, until Simon Edwards got round
to writing PyKDE Extensions*, it was pretty much undeployable on any other
machine than my own.

 * http://www.simonzone.com/software/pykdeextensions/

> The 'Dock Application Bar' does this for dock apps but it's
> not very flexible. Perhaps I'm missing some terrible complication
> or maybe someone already knows exactly how this could be cleanly done?
> Either way please let me know any thoughts
> gavinkz(at)webmail(dot)co(dot)za. I would be happy to offer my meager
> coding and testing skills at which point I guess I would subscribe

I should probably take another look at this and just upload what I have
to a site somewhere.

David