[PyKDE] How to contribute to sip ?

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Feb 28 18:11:38 GMT 2006

Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

>> My experience is that GCC cannot handle PyQt3 single-file version and
takes
>> like 20 minutes to compile it, while I can compile PyQt3 single-file with
>> MSVC in roughly 100 seconds. Are you saying that this scenario is going
>> change with PyQt4?
>
> Well it obviously depends on compiler versions...
>
> MSVC v6 - can't handle large files.
>
> MSVC v7 (ie. 2003) - my current Windows compiler, but I've never tried
large
> files.
>
> GCC 3.4.4 - my current Linux compiler, handles large file.
>
> GCC 4 - never tried it.
>
> What Windows compiler are you using?

I'm using MSVC 7.1 (ie 2003). It can handle large files pretty well. As I
said, I can compile PyQt3 single-file in roughly 1:20 minutes (linking
included) without using more than 70-80Mb of memory (with optimizations
enabled). I'm on a Athlon XP 2200 (can't remember what's that in Mhz, sorry
:).

Also, I can tell you that I never managed to finish a PyQt3 single-file
compilation on "gcc version 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)" (FC4). I know
there used to be a bug which exponentially slowed down compilation of PyKDE
(so I suppose it's SIP-related), but that was fixed in gcc 4.0.3. Even with
that patch, I still hit 512Mb memory limit, the computer starts swapping and
compilation times go too high.
--
Giovanni Bajo