[PyKDE] Eric3 user interface

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Wed Mar 29 18:41:05 BST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 29. März 2006 00:05 schrieb Jürgen Urner:
> Currently struggeling a bit with eric ide.
>
> I've noticed some rough edges wich might be not too hard to clear out
> if not done already.
>
> The version I use is 3.7.0, so some of them may be alreaddy pronounced.
>
> x. Debug --> Run Script
>     asks always for permission to save the script.
>     This is pretty unnecessary. Better would be to try to save it
> anyway. Throw
>     an exception if it can't be saved. I as a user expect to debug the
> script in its
>     current state not in unsaved state. Most of the time I end up
> hitting enter one
>     time too often when the dialog is not popping up cos the script has
> already been saved,
>     wich gives a pretty error prone newline somewhere in the middle of
> nowhere.
>     A good way to handle this is an option <x automatically save open
> files on exec>

I'll add this to the wish list for eric4.

> x. Having a dialog box popping up when eric detects a currently open
> file has been changed
>     outside the application is not very handy. An option <x
> automatically reload files if changed
>     outside the application> would be better.

I'll add this one too.

> x. Its a bit irritating in splitter layout having these docking windows
> popping
>     one open and one close when I trigger a script. Nice to have the
> exception at hand,
>     but a pain for the eyes. I would prefere the left and right panes
> just keeping the
>     size I put them to. Shaking the source code once from right to left
> is making me dizzy :-)

Splitter layout will vanish in eric4. eric3 has two operating modes, debug and
edit. For both modes you can set which windows should be shown and where they
should be placed. Carefully arranged, you can avoid the observed behavior.

> Would be nice if these issues could be fixed. Would make the interface
> slicker.
> I know, writing an editor is pretty hard, writing a whole ide is
> somewhere close
> to suicide for a man on its own.

Please try a more recent version and see, if it better fits your needs.

Regards,
Detlev
--
Detlev Offenbach