[PyKDE] [PyQt3] QSpinWidget derived widgets

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sat Oct 28 12:31:33 BST 2006

Am Samstag, 28. Oktober 2006 12:20 schrieb Phil Thompson:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 4:59 pm, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> > Hi Phil et.al.,
> >
> > attached is an example, what can be done within PyQt, if QSpinWidget is
> > made available. I know, your policy is: don't wrap internal Qt classes,
> > but this one may deserve an exception for these reasons:
> >  - the risk, that Trolltech will change these interfaces in Qt3 is next
> > to zero
> >  - the cost for you is minimal, given that you assimilate my
> > qspinwidget.sip (well, since QSpinWidget is defined in qrangecontrol.h,
> > it would perfectly fit into sip/qt/qrangecontrol.sip IMHO)
> >    The only caveat in this area is, that I may not gotten the
> > versioning right.. It's just <%If (Qt_3_0_0 -) .. %End> ATM..
> >  - It's not possible to fully explore Pythons advantages within e.g.
> > custom QSpinBox derived widgets since its unfortunate integer range
> > limitation.
>
> Sorry, but "not wrapping internal classes" is a nice easily understood
> statement of policy. I don't want to open the doors to other more
> contentious requests.

I feared that.

> Of course, if you persuaded Trolltech to make it public (after all it's
> only seems to be a documentation issue) that would be a different
> matter...

Hmm, how likely is the chance that Trolltech would change the documentation
of a running out product, given that the issue arising from it only affect
3rd party language bindings? I fear, this probability is as high as the
risk, that this interface will ever change :-(...

People, at least those who plan to do involved things with QSpinWidget
subclasses (where QSpinBox subclasses are too limited, e.g. unlimited value
range, or custom QDateTime editors, which allow being kept empty), please
try the attachment from the root mail in this thread and speak up now, or
keep silent forever..

The only chance, I see, is persuading you, since it would be a small step
for you - accompanied with big fat letters detailing why this and only this
exception is made from this well understood policy - but a hard to achieve
functionality those of us, who are in a desperate need of this.

But looking at the feedback from others, I'm better creeping back behind the
oven and licking my wounds..

Pete