[PyKDE] PyQt 4 on openSUSE

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Sep 5 19:02:51 BST 2006

On 05.09.06 19:29:14, Joachim Werner wrote:
> Now I have requested the addition of PyQt v4 to the upcoming openSUSE 10.2
> release. But I have met some resistance because there is not a single
> application that needs it right now.

www.apaku.de/linux/xpathevaluator

Though I need to re-design the site.

> The cool thing about the openSUSE build service is that does not only build
> RPMs for various flavours of SUSE Linux, but also packages for Debian/Ubuntu,

Debian and possibly the next ubuntu release already contain PyQt4.

> Right now there is a hen-and-egg problem with it: If it's not installed by
> default it's relatively hard to install PyQt 4 apps,

No, not really. It's as hard as installing other software, for exmaple
autotools based (i.e. configure && make && make install).

> but to have PyQt apps
> out there that justify adding PyQt 4 to the distribution by default it has to
> be easy enough to develop/deploy them in the first place.

It is easy to develop PyQt4 apps and deploying them with standard python
means (i.e. distutils/setuptools) is easy as well.

Andreas

--
Try to have as good a life as you can under the circumstances.