[PyKDE] Re: embedding python widgets in C++ app

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Mon Jan 29 22:13:59 GMT 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 21:46, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> On 1/28/07, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> >  * It would be good if you could attach some kind of license to the code
> > so that it's clear to people what their options are when re-using it.
>
> I'm confused, do you think that others will be afraid to copy my code?

It's possible. I was thinking of various types of developer who might be
reassured one way or the other to see some kind of license, or at least
a copyright disclaimer.

> My wiki is intended to get code examples for useful things on the web
> for people to use however they want.

OK. That's good to hear. :-)

> This code is so short and re-writable that I don't feel like a license even
> falls into scope - especially since it's just teaching a lesson, not
> providing a concrete function.

Well, that's true. Even the GNU project admits the use of permissive
licenses for some software, so I'm not about to argue:

  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIfWorkIsShort

> > Some of
> >    the original code was licensed under the GPL by Jim Bublitz and
> > myself.
>
> Which part? call_function()?

Yes. I may have been too quick to see similarities between the rest of
your code and the rest of my code. I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

> Everything else I re-wrote from scratch
> after reading yours and other sites along with the ref docs.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to take credit for your work. I was just saying
that the code I posted, and some that I didn't, was originally released
under the GPL in various different packages, and I was offering to relicense
it if it made you feel uncomfortable. I should probably have been more
explicit about where it came from in the first place, but you seemed pretty
desperate to get things working.

An argument could be made that says the code in our different examples is so
short that any use falls under "fair use" provisions, anyway.

> >    However, since it's only a short piece of code, I would be happy to
> > let people use it under more permissive licenses, as long as Jim agrees.
> > After all, I'm sure many people have written much the same code on a
> > number of different occasions.
> >
> >    However, it would be good if any improvements can be used by the
> >    community, particularly for supporting plugin integration in Qt 4 and
> >    KDE 4.
>
> That's what my wiki is for.

That's great, but are you aware of the PyQt Wiki?

  http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki

It's good to keep this sort of thing where people will look for it, and we're
trying to encourage people to contribute to the Wiki. If you want to keep it
on your Wiki, that's OK, but could you possibly link it into the other one
somehow?

David