[PyKDE] Re: embedding python widgets in C++ app

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:46:05 GMT 2007

On 1/29/07, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Monday 29 January 2007 21:46, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> > On 1/28/07, David Boddie <david at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > >  * It would be good if you could attach some kind of license to the code
> > > so that it's clear to people what their options are when re-using it.
> >
> > I'm confused, do you think that others will be afraid to copy my code?
>
> It's possible. I was thinking of various types of developer who might be
> reassured one way or the other to see some kind of license, or at least
> a copyright disclaimer.

I'll try to add something to that effect.

> > My wiki is intended to get code examples for useful things on the web
> > for people to use however they want.
>
> OK. That's good to hear. :-)
>
> > This code is so short and re-writable that I don't feel like a license even
> > falls into scope - especially since it's just teaching a lesson, not
> > providing a concrete function.
>
> Well, that's true. Even the GNU project admits the use of permissive
> licenses for some software, so I'm not about to argue:
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIfWorkIsShort

nice link!

> > > Some of
> > >    the original code was licensed under the GPL by Jim Bublitz and
> > > myself.
> >
> > Which part? call_function()?
>
> Yes. I may have been too quick to see similarities between the rest of
> your code and the rest of my code. I apologise for jumping to conclusions.
>
> > Everything else I re-wrote from scratch
> > after reading yours and other sites along with the ref docs.
>
> Don't worry, I'm not trying to take credit for your work. I was just saying
> that the code I posted, and some that I didn't, was originally released
> under the GPL in various different packages, and I was offering to relicense
> it if it made you feel uncomfortable. I should probably have been more
> explicit about where it came from in the first place, but you seemed pretty
> desperate to get things working.
>
> An argument could be made that says the code in our different examples is so
> short that any use falls under "fair use" provisions, anyway.
>
> > >    However, since it's only a short piece of code, I would be happy to
> > > let people use it under more permissive licenses, as long as Jim agrees.
> > > After all, I'm sure many people have written much the same code on a
> > > number of different occasions.
> > >
> > >    However, it would be good if any improvements can be used by the
> > >    community, particularly for supporting plugin integration in Qt 4 and
> > >    KDE 4.
> >
> > That's what my wiki is for.
>
> That's great, but are you aware of the PyQt Wiki?
>
>   http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki

I am now

> It's good to keep this sort of thing where people will look for it, and we're
> trying to encourage people to contribute to the Wiki. If you want to keep it
> on your Wiki, that's OK, but could you possibly link it into the other one
> somehow?

Definately! My main motivation is posting problems I solve so others
don't have to. I don't usually go out of my way to put together
HOWTO's, but there's no excuse if you can just M-c M-v it, right.

Python is so readable that small cookbook recipes are a must do. Heh -
I think that's the first thing I've posted in C++. *shudder*

--
Patrick Kidd Stinson
http://www.patrickkidd.com/