[PyQt] PyQt v4.3a1 Binary Installer for Windows

Gerard Vermeulen gerard.vermeulen at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Mon Jul 2 16:48:52 BST 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:01:29 +0100
Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> > > ...but how big are PyQwt and Qwt? I don't have a problem with
> > > including them if they aren't huge.
> >
> > I have an NSIS exe installer of almost 1.5 Mb including Qwt
> > documentation which uncompresses to 9 Mb (the doc is also
> > available on the web).
>
> The size isn't a problem then.
>
> > PyQwt has an option to compile and link the Qwt source statically
> > into the Python module.
> >
> > Problem is that my installer requires  numpy
> > (http://numpy.scipy.org).
> >
> > PyQwt works without numpy, but I like to find the fastest method
> > (faster than the sequence protocol) so that PyQwt uses numpy when
> > a user has installed numpy (there has been talk about an extended
> > buffer protocol, but ...).
> >
> > When do you plan to release PyQt-4.3?
>
> Soon, but maybe not before the end of the month. However, there is no
> problem with releasing new versions of the installer at any time.

PyQwt-CVS now also supports  the 'N-D array interface' protocol
( http://numpy.scipy.org/array_interface.shtml ), so that recent
versions of the numerical Python extension (numpy, numarray
or Numeric) will work with PyQwt, even when they are not present
when PyQwt is being built.  Users can install at least one of those
extensions when they think it is worthwhile (it is IMO).

PyQwt-CVS is also compatible with the new header file policy of
the SIP snapshots.

What do you want me to do so that PyQwt gets into your exe
installer.  Do I have to release PyQwt-5.0.2 (a few days)? or
will a snapshot do (tonight)?

Gerard