[PyQt] PyQt v4.3a1 Binary Installer for Windows

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 09:10:05 BST 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 4:48 pm, Gerard Vermeulen wrote:

> > > I have an NSIS exe installer of almost 1.5 Mb including Qwt
> > > documentation which uncompresses to 9 Mb (the doc is also
> > > available on the web).
> >
> > The size isn't a problem then.
> >
> > > PyQwt has an option to compile and link the Qwt source statically
> > > into the Python module.
> > >
> > > Problem is that my installer requires  numpy
> > > (http://numpy.scipy.org).
> > >
> > > PyQwt works without numpy, but I like to find the fastest method
> > > (faster than the sequence protocol) so that PyQwt uses numpy when
> > > a user has installed numpy (there has been talk about an extended
> > > buffer protocol, but ...).
> > >
> > > When do you plan to release PyQt-4.3?
> >
> > Soon, but maybe not before the end of the month. However, there is no
> > problem with releasing new versions of the installer at any time.
>
> PyQwt-CVS now also supports  the 'N-D array interface' protocol
> ( http://numpy.scipy.org/array_interface.shtml ), so that recent
> versions of the numerical Python extension (numpy, numarray
> or Numeric) will work with PyQwt, even when they are not present
> when PyQwt is being built.  Users can install at least one of those
> extensions when they think it is worthwhile (it is IMO).
>
> PyQwt-CVS is also compatible with the new header file policy of
> the SIP snapshots.
>
> What do you want me to do so that PyQwt gets into your exe
> installer.  Do I have to release PyQwt-5.0.2 (a few days)? or
> will a snapshot do (tonight)?

Whether you include a release or a snapshot is entirely up to you.

I need to be able to build and install a static Qwt library.

I will need a URL to the documentation (which will go in the Start menu).

When you build and install PyQwt, is building and installing Qwt a separate
step or is it all one thing? I'd prefer two steps as I would install Qwt, but
would get the .sip files and examples from the source package.