[PyQt] Rejoice, for PyKDE4 has landed in KDE SVN

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Nov 12 21:21:33 GMT 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007 10:41, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Simon Edwards [Mon, 03 Sep 2007 08:37:52 +0200]:
> > Almost all classes in kdelibs are covered, except Phonon which is waiting
> > on imporved namespace support in SIP before we can add support.
>
> Hello. I'm not really following KDE4 development, but I'd like to know
> how this is going. I'm the author of an audio player for KDE using PyKDE
> and I'd really love to see bindings to Phonon. I currently use GStreamer,
> and it gives me a lot of headaches.
>
> Do you have any status update for Phonon bindings? (I doubt there's much
> I could do to help, except when a first version is available, porting my
> app and verifying that at least my use case works.)

There will probably be Phonon bindings and they'll probably be in the initial
PyKDE4 release. They aren't in the beta stuff yet because the Phonon
interface has been changing and there are some issues with it that require
handwritten code (nearly everything else is generated automatically). The
support needed in sip either was provided or I fixed the error in PyKDE4 that
was the problem (might be a little of both), but there are still a few other
problems due to the way templates are used in the C++ code.

The other concern would be that the initial Phonon bindings may be buggy until
someone writes some code to use them and discovers the bugs. I'll try to make
a point of announcing here when the Phonon bindings hit SVN (or a tarball) so
that you can try them out before release (if the timing works out that way).

Jim