[PyQt] PyQt 'make' fails on Leopard Default Py install

Andy Davidoff adavidoff at smytheonline.com
Wed Oct 31 17:06:10 GMT 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 11:20 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> So is it a bug in the Python package?

Per the programmer's adage, "Be loose in what you accept and strict in
what you produce", I guess I'd consider this a bug; I'm inclined to
blame Apple for changing the game and yet not being looser in what
they accept.

There's a README in /Library/.../python2.5/site-packages that says:

	This directory exists so that 3rd party packages can be installed
	here.  Read the source for site.py for more details.

Interactive Python:
 >>> import distutils.sysconfig as ds
 >>> ds.get_python_lib()
'/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages'
 >>> import sys
 >>> sys.path
['', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python25.zip', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
2.5/lib/python2.5', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/plat-darwin', '/System/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/plat-mac', '/System/
Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/plat-
mac/lib-scriptpackages', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python', '/System/Library/Frameworks/
Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-tk', '/System/Library/
Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload', '/
Library/Python/2.5/site-packages', '/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/
PIL', '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/
lib/python/PyObjC']

I'm no authority, especially since I haven't looked at the
configure.py, but it seems to me that python packages should use that
function to figure out where to install the library.  This change
should ensure that the same code installs the package correctly under
Tiger and Leopard.

While I'm here, I'll note that taller-than-default buttons render flat
in Qt on Leopard.  When we've done upgrades of Tiger boxen, our PyQt
stuff works, but the fonts seem to all default to a serif without
proper kerning.

Also, Scott Willman and I confirmed that the Qt/Mac package from
Trolltech does not currently work.

We are a Mac/Linux shop with about 40 workstations of varied vintage
and a habit for very aggressive early adoption, so if you need further
testing or something, please let me know.