[PyQt] installing eric4 on mandriva for dummies - help needed

kim gerdes kmgrds at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:53:10 BST 2007

On 9/19/07, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:
> Your original problem is with the Qt4 build, nothing to do eric, SIP, PyQt or
> QScintilla.

thanks so much, Phil, for your quick and helpful answer.

> I would guess that your subsequent problems are because your distro has split
> Python into runtime and development sub-packages - and you don't have the
> latter installed.

you were completely right.

i found the package you're talking about, libpython2.5-devel, and i
installed it.

now, quite a few hours of trying later, the sip and the Qscintilla2
installations seems to go alright. when installing PyQt though, things
go bad again. the make gives me the good old XRRFreeScreenResources
stuff again :-(

/usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to `XRRFreeScreenResources'
/usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to `XRRGetScreenResources'
/usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to `FcFreeTypeQueryFace'
collect2: ld a retourné 1 code d'état d'exécution
make[1]: *** [pylupdate4] Erreur 1
make[1]: quittant le répertoire «
/home/kim/Desktop/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.3-snapshot-20070913/pylupdate »
make: *** [all] Erreur 2

i believe that my paths are well set:

set | grep qt
PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/qt4/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/qt4/lib/pkgconfig
QT4DOCDIR=/usr/share/doc/qt4/doc
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt4
qt4env ()
    QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt4;
    PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/bin:${PATH};

i tried also again by rpm and when everything is installed, including
libqt4-devel  and python-qt4-gui, and i start eric4 i get again:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/eric4/eric4.py", line 22, in <module>
    from PyQt4.QtGui import QApplication, QErrorMessage
ImportError: /usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so.4: undefined symbol:
XRRFreeScreenResources
QApplication seems to in the libqt4-devel package which includes the
file ‎/usr/lib/qt4/include/Qt/qapplication.h

but where does this error come from?

hope i'll get another hint that gets me going again!

two other, more general questions:

1. how is it possible that all the mandriva qscintilla, pyqt etc rpms
don't put the libpython2.5-devel in their dependencies? is there a
good reason not to do it, or is it just an error?

2. i wonder why it's so difficult to install this stuff. is it so
complicated/tedious to make one big eric4 tarball that i can unzip and
use? i thought that one advantage of free software is precisely that
other people can use, adapt, and redistribute the stuff ad gusto...
- or maybe it's just that no one but me would find such a tarball helpful?

thanks again for your help
kim