[PyQt] installing eric4 on mandriva for dummies - help needed

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 17:19:30 BST 2007

On Wednesday 19 September 2007, kim gerdes wrote:
> On 9/19/07, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:
> > Your original problem is with the Qt4 build, nothing to do eric, SIP,
> > PyQt or QScintilla.
>
> thanks so much, Phil, for your quick and helpful answer.
>
> > I would guess that your subsequent problems are because your distro has
> > split Python into runtime and development sub-packages - and you don't
> > have the latter installed.
>
> you were completely right.
>
> i found the package you're talking about, libpython2.5-devel, and i
> installed it.
>
> now, quite a few hours of trying later, the sip and the Qscintilla2
> installations seems to go alright. when installing PyQt though, things
> go bad again. the make gives me the good old XRRFreeScreenResources
> stuff again :-(
>
> /usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference to
> `XRRFreeScreenResources' /usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined reference
> to `XRRGetScreenResources' /usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so: undefined
> reference to `FcFreeTypeQueryFace' collect2: ld a retourné 1 code d'état
> d'exécution
> make[1]: *** [pylupdate4] Erreur 1
> make[1]: quittant le répertoire «
> /home/kim/Desktop/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.3-snapshot-20070913/pylupdate »
> make: *** [all] Erreur 2
>
> i believe that my paths are well set:
>
> set | grep qt
> PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/loc
>al/bin:/usr/local/sbin
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/qt4/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/
>lib/qt4/lib/pkgconfig QT4DOCDIR=/usr/share/doc/qt4/doc
> QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt4
> qt4env ()
>     QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt4;
>     PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/bin:${PATH};
>

> i tried also again by rpm and when everything is installed, including
> libqt4-devel  and python-qt4-gui, and i start eric4 i get again:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/eric4/eric4.py", line 22, in
> <module> from PyQt4.QtGui import QApplication, QErrorMessage
> ImportError: /usr/lib/qt4/lib/libQtGui.so.4: undefined symbol:
> XRRFreeScreenResources
> QApplication seems to in the libqt4-devel package which includes the
> file ‎/usr/lib/qt4/include/Qt/qapplication.h
>
> but where does this error come from?

It's the loader trying to resolve the symbols used by the different shared
libraries it is loading when the application starts. The problem is with the
Mandriva build of Qt4 - report the problem to them.

> hope i'll get another hint that gets me going again!
>

> two other, more general questions:
>
> 1. how is it possible that all the mandriva qscintilla, pyqt etc rpms
> don't put the libpython2.5-devel in their dependencies? is there a
> good reason not to do it, or is it just an error?

A question for Mandriva.

> 2. i wonder why it's so difficult to install this stuff. is it so
> complicated/tedious to make one big eric4 tarball that i can unzip and
> use? i thought that one advantage of free software is precisely that
> other people can use, adapt, and redistribute the stuff ad gusto...
> - or maybe it's just that no one but me would find such a tarball helpful?

One advantage of free software is that if you want something done then you can
do it yourself.