[PyQt] PyQt can't load phonon backend under Windows

Gabriel Morrison Lima Dantas gabriellist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 04:14:12 BST 2008

Hi people, I've compiled Qt 4.4.1 GPL with Visual C++ 2008 and enabled
phonon support. Then, I compiled PyQt4 against that build of Qt, with Visual
C++ 2008, and built the phonon PyQt4 module. The module import was
sucessfull, but when I call the method Phonon.AudioOutput(), it gives the
following message:

WARNING: bool __thiscall Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend(void) phonon
backend plugin could not be loaded

I've write a little program in C++ and it works perfectly under Windows;
under Linux, I compiled PyQt4, and it works perfectly too; only under
Windows, it can't find the backend. I tried to copy the phonon_ds94.dll file
to several folders, but nothing worked.
Do you know how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel Morrison