[PyQt] PyQt can't load phonon backend under Windows

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Mon Aug 18 08:32:11 BST 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 00:14:12 -0300, "Gabriel Morrison Lima Dantas"
<gabriellist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi people, I've compiled Qt 4.4.1 GPL with Visual C++ 2008 and enabled
> phonon support. Then, I compiled PyQt4 against that build of Qt, with
> Visual
> C++ 2008, and built the phonon PyQt4 module. The module import was
> sucessfull, but when I call the method Phonon.AudioOutput(), it gives the
> following message:
>

> WARNING: bool __thiscall Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend(void)
> phonon
> backend plugin could not be loaded
>

> I've write a little program in C++ and it works perfectly under Windows;
> under Linux, I compiled PyQt4, and it works perfectly too; only under
> Windows, it can't find the backend. I tried to copy the phonon_ds94.dll
> file
> to several folders, but nothing worked.
> Do you know how to solve this?

No, but I will need to because I want to do the same thing with the PyQt
binary installer when Python v2.6 is released. However building against the
MSVC 2008 binary installer of the commercial version of Qt works fine.

What flags did you pass to configure when building Qt?

What Microsoft SDKs did you need to install in order to get the Phonon
support enabled?