[PyQt] QtGui.QMotifStyle not in PyQt?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed Feb 13 11:14:30 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Igor Prischepoff wrote:
> Hello,all!
> I'm looking in styling my pyqt application.
> There is nice python "styles" example ported from C++.
> But it's not complete port because NorwegianWood style is missing.
> In original C++ demo this example shows one more custom style build by
> user. So I'm digging deeper and find that QMotifStyle on which this
> NorwegianWood style
> is build is'n ported to python part.
>   Is it done intentionally or it's just technologically hard to do?

You can't wrap plugins which styles are often deployed as. Even if you build
Qt with styles builtin your code then becomes non-portable unless you include
your build of Qt.

There is nothing stopping you wrapping the style classes yourself.

>   Or it's
> licensing issues?
> I'd like to build my own style for application.
> ----------------
> And second question: anyone of you guys use custom themes like
> NorwegianWood for example?
> Do you build your own or just use embedded in Qt? (plastic, cde, etc..)

Those sorts of decisions should normally be left to the user, not the
developer.

> Also how can I build QtDesigner package in order to use custom widgets in
> design time?
> May be there is binary build somewhere?
>
> My info:
> winXP, python 2.5, PyQt 4.3.3, Qt 4.3 Open Source Edition.

You need to build Qt and PyQt yourself as non-static.