[PyQt] How to write a GUI interface for a set of Python programs?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Jan 27 22:55:26 GMT 2008

On 28.01.08 09:21:20, Algis Kabaila wrote:

> [...]
> The above sentence from another thread describes well my current status.
>
> In the last few years I wrote a series of programs in Python for Structural
> Analysis for Engineering structures.  IMHO, Python is a great teaching
> language that enables one to expose the basic principles of programming
> without having to go into extraneous details.
>
> Currently those programs lack GUI.  I would like to write GUI with a minimum
> need to substantially change my extant Python programs and a
> minimum "immersion" into yet another computer language (I am 83 and have
> learned many languages - computer since the valve computer days as well as
> human - in my long and varied life).
>
> PyQt interface looks pretty, it is an integral part of KDE, so it seems like
> the right candidate for my objectives.
>
> Is it possible to create a GUI with QtDesigner and "assemble" it into PyQt
> from the *.ui files and then outside of the QtDesigner call extant Python
> programs?  Or is that an impossible dream?

Thats quite easy using a python-written class that uses the .ui file to
setup the GUI.

> If that is possible, how can I achieve that aim with the latest (?) QtDesigner
> version 3.3.8?

I suggest to look into PyQt4 instead, Qt 3.3 is not maintained anymore
by TT (maybe for important security fixes) and thus doesn't get updates
anymore. PyQt4/Qt4 is the current state of the art and it still ships
with designer, though the actual use of the .ui files has changed a bit.

Andreas

--
Better hope the life-inspector doesn't come around while you have your
life in such a mess.