[PyQt] No reply - did I post wrong?

Giacomo Lacava g.lacava at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 23:23:34 GMT 2008

Pete,
you're not doing anything wrong, it's just that probably nobody  knows
an answer to your question (like me) or they are all busy, or or or...

If I were you I'd try to contact the ctypes people as well, maybe they
have an idea of why that call would fail.

Cheers
Giacomo

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Peter Howard
<peterhoward42 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I posted a question on Wednesday - but have had no reply as yet.
>
>  Am I using the list wrongly in some way?
>
>  My message subject was "PyQt4 'apparently' interfering with
>  ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary()"
>
>  I've condensed the problem to a 3 line program:
>
>  import PyQt4.QtCore
>  import ctypes
>  ctypes.cdll.LoadLibrary('libfluidsynth-1.dll')
>
>  As you will deduce this is running on Windows. It produces the traceback I
>  put in Wednesday's post.
>
>  The reason I'm raising it here - is 1) because I'm stuck :-), and 2)More
>  relevantly, if you don't import from PyQt first it works completely fine -
>  including more extensive use of the dll via ctypes.
>
>  I was working up the use of the dll with unit tests without any problems -
>  until I started integrating it with existing - tried and tested PyQt code.
>
>  Both of these bodies of code continue to work happily in isolation.
>
>  I realise you can't take any responsibility or interest in why ctypes is
>  going wrong or what might be wrong with the dll in question - but I was
>  hoping your experience might provide some insight.
>
>  By the way I also tried SIP-ing an interface to the dll, but the C interface
>  is quite complicated using large numbers of header files, and I got a bit
>  bogged down. Since I only need a few trivial-ish interfaces into the dll,
>  the ctypes approach looked like the best bet.
>
>  Regards
>
>  Pete (the one you know from Airbus - Phil)

Giacomo Lacava