[PyQt] split a layout in half to add a widget at runtime.

Peter Shinners pshinners at blizzard.com
Wed Aug 26 17:06:34 BST 2009

These are pictures of Houdini btw, not Maya. I've written this type of interface a couple times before. My best success was moving away from "nested splitters" and moving to a "flat" layout of a bunch of panel widgets.

This required me to handle all the dragging myself, but that was a fairly easy part to write. Then I could do things like drag at the intersections to move in both directions. Best of all it freed my layout from each panel having an arbitrary "depth", which will imply small restrictions on the types of splits you can make.