[PyQt] Windows/OS X installers for PyQt4 apps

Mark Voorhies mvoorhie at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 00:04:16 GMT 2009

I am starting work on a Python/Qt4 based GUI and am looking for advice on
packaging the finished application for Windows XP and OS X.

The details are:
  * The development is being done on Linux (Ubuntu and Debian), so open source
    packaging tools that run on Linux are preferred.
  * I am using the GPL licensing option for Qt4 (entire application
    distributed under the GPL).
  * The current dependencies are Qt4 and some pure Python libraries.
  * The target audience is non-programmer biologists, so the install process
    should be on the order of "download this file and double-click to
    install".

My initial googling suggests py2exe for Windows and py2app for OS X, but I am
particularly interested in the quirks of using such tools to package PyQt.

Thank you for your time,

Mark Voorhies