[PyQt] Windows/OS X installers for PyQt4 apps

stan modifiedbessel at free.fr
Sat Feb 7 09:58:11 GMT 2009

At least for windows,  code developed in Gentoo/Ubuntu/Python-2.5/ Qt/PyQt4 is
very efficiently converted to self contained .exe's with pyinstaller and
seems a little faster executing (smaller loading time) than py2exe.
 I prefer pyinstaller a little for the moment, as it seemed clearer and runs
well.  A simple howto with other quirks discussed and proper howto code
that works out of the box (change to your program name, location...) is at

http://bytes.com/topic/python/insights/579554-simple-guide-using-pyinstaller

which ran out of the box first time on a 2200 line Python QT application (it
turned into a 9MB single compressed .exe)

Not very technical, but this video shows the pyinstaller process quite clearly

http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=pythonHollandPyInstaller_german

Don't know about OS X, but people seem to have success with py2app