[PyQt] LGPL license.

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 15:09:17 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:

> I doubt that any company on earth would save £350 and change programming
> language. This kind of decision is made by amateur programmers that just
> want to play around with Qt, but those can already use the GPL version.

Not necessarily change, but it may effect the initial selection.

I am not really interested in pursuing this discussion further (it has
been done enough times already), but the licensing of Qt is the reason
people/orgs chose other toolkits over Qt, despite technical
inferiority. And everybody seems to be pretty enthusiastic about the
license change, so it's not something to laugh off, really.

Be it as it may, if ruby had a LGPL Qt and Python didn't, it would be
real technical plus for ruby and minus for python (as opposed to other
benefits claimed by the ruby community, which are typically fictious).
If developing in Python costs you 350pounds / developer and ruby and
c++ are free, many companies would definitely weigh this against
python.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio