[PyQt] PyQt Licensing

Attila Csipa pyqt at csipa.in.rs
Wed May 6 12:28:15 BST 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 12:30:02 Henrik Pauli wrote:
> Hmm... I think strictly said, the licensing of the final product and the
> development model do not have anything to do with each other.  Afterall,
> it’s not LGPL per se that made Qt’s development model more open, that’s
> just a separate, just well timed decision.

With Qt this is not the case, it has a very firm stance about development
model and it's relation to the final product license. Legally, you cannot
start development with a non-commercial Qt license (either community/GPL or
LGPL) and then switch over to commercial on product release. I believe this
is why Phil made the licensing change he mentioned - so at least with a
commercial license of PyQt you can use the LGPL version of Qt and still make
a commercial product. IANAL, correct me if I'm wrong.