[PyQt] PyQt Licensing

Henrik Pauli henrik.pauli at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:45:02 BST 2009

On Wednesday 06 May 2009 13:28:15 Attila Csipa wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 May 2009 12:30:02 Henrik Pauli wrote:
> > Hmm... I think strictly said, the licensing of the final product and the
> > development model do not have anything to do with each other.  Afterall,
> > it’s not LGPL per se that made Qt’s development model more open, that’s
> > just a separate, just well timed decision.
>
> With Qt this is not the case, it has a very firm stance about development
> model and it's relation to the final product license. Legally, you cannot
> start development with a non-commercial Qt license (either community/GPL or
> LGPL) and then switch over to commercial on product release. I believe this
> is why Phil made the licensing change he mentioned - so at least with a
> commercial license of PyQt you can use the LGPL version of Qt and still
> make a commercial product. IANAL, correct me if I'm wrong.

I was talking about Qt itself getting developed (by Trolltech / Qt Software)
rather than development *with* Qt.  At least I think that was mostly Mr.
Corsaire's concern (cf. Phil getting hit by a bus).

Actually, same concern can be expressed towards Detlev too, Eric4, while open
source, the only interface to its development we have is here in the mailing
lists; if something happens to Detlev, there's no public repository so it's
not possible to continue where he left it, but one would have to go back to
whatever the last release was.