[PyQt] Weird QTextLabel Output

Henrik Pauli henrik.pauli at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 03:11:36 BST 2010

> I've got a small program that parses a web page and outputs a small amount of
> text to a QTextLabel.  The problem is, that when displaying numbers with
> spaces between them, the textLabel seems to add in strange characters.
> Example:  http://everydaylht.com/example.png
>
> The string should be "6 272 640 square inches".  This is how the string looks
> when I parse the webpage.  If I print the string before it is displayed, the
> terminal output is how it should be (ie. 6 272 640 square inches).  However,
> in a QTextLabel, those weird A's get inserted.

What you see there is non-breaking spaces (finally someone properly
typesetting them numbers!).  They should appear as normal spaces, but
for some reason, the fact that you're dealing with a UTF-8 text doesn't
really seem to reach Python's or PyQt's mind.

> The source file uses UTF-8 encoding.
>
> Any suggestions what this might be, or how it might be fixed.

Maybe try to .decode that string as UTF-8 to get a unicode object which
then you feed to the QTextLabel?

> The relevant code is here:  http://pastebin.org/171738
>
> Thanks
>
> Matt

(I just can't get used to Reply not pointing to the list :/  Sorry if
anyone manages to get this twice)