[PyQt] Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Tue Jul 20 07:27:25 BST 2010

Hi Sathishkumar,

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:33:34 +0530
Sathishkumar Duraisamy <flowerslab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark Summerfield,
>
> I am fan of your book "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt". Its
> pleasure to have new edition. But two year is little long....

I know! But it takes a long time to write a book or to do a new edition,
and for this year and next I already have another book pencilled in!

> I have found the pyqt does not have any support for the classes for
> embedded linux. But David Boddie has given some support for it in
> http://bitbucket.org/dboddie/pyqt4-for-embedded-linux. I wish please
> you to include support for it in next edition, such as how to port it
> to embedded linux / embedded systems....

AFAIK PyQt doesn't target embedded systems, at least not right now. But
PySide specifically does target embedded systems, e.g. Maemo 5, and my
guess is that they'll also support MeeGo. I'll look into this area when
I start planning the next edition and will cover it if possible.

> Sathishkumar
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Mark Summerfield
> <list at qtrac.plus.com>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:06:12 +0200 (CEST)
> > <projetmbc at club-internet.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I would ike to have infos about the future new version for Python
> > > 3 of this great book. Is there a publication date ?
> >
> > Hi "C",
> >
> > I would very much like to do a new edition of the PyQt book, but it
> > will probably not be for another year or two due to other
> > commitments.
> >
> > I want the next edition to be based on Python 3.1 (or later). Also,
> > I am hoping that by the time I'm ready to start on it PySide will
> > support Python 3 and will be sufficiently compatible with PyQt that
> > I can cover both in the same book without confusing readers.
> >
> > For those who can't wait I have converted all the book's examples to
> > Python 3.0 (using PyQt API 1) and to Python 3.1 (using PyQt API 2).
> >
> > I had expected the conversion to Python 3.1 and API 2 to be rather
> > difficult, but in the end it was pretty straightforward, so the
> > differences between what's shown in the book and the Python 3.1
> > versions of the examples are either non-existent or easy to see and
> > understand.
> >
> > I've put a few notes on the most problematic classes at the bottom
> > of the book's web page:
> > http://www.qtrac.eu/pyqtbook.html
> > (This is also where the links to the Python 3 examples are located.)
> >
> > On a personal note, last week I finished converting all my own
> > Python programs to Python 3.1 using the 2to3 tool and then manually
> > converting str % usage to str.format(). This includes some PyQt GUI
> > programs that I use every day:-)
> >
> > --
> > Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
> >    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy
> >        "Programming in Python 3" - ISBN 0321680561
> >            http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html

Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy
        "Advanced Qt Programming" - ISBN 0321635906
            http://www.qtrac.eu/aqpbook.html