[PyQt] QWebHistory load/save

David Bronke whitelynx at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 03:29:29 GMT 2010

In the QWebHistory documentation (both on the main Qt site and at
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/html/qwebhistory.html)
the method for loading and saving history for a QWebPage is described as:

QWebHistory's state can be saved to a QDataStream <qdatastream.html> using
> the >> operator and loaded by using the << operator.

However, in Python, this doesn't work; these operators don't even seem to be
defined, according to the PyQt4 docs. I've tried the following variations on
the suggested method:

# Try a QDataStream
out = QtCore.QDataStream(file)
out << view.page().history()

# Try a file-like object
sys.stdout << view.page().history()

# Try a file-like object with .write()
sys.stdout.write(view.page().history())

Each of these failed with a TypeError. I've attached a sample program which
demonstrates the various methods above.

The reason I'm trying to access this functionality is because I'm writing a
PyQt4-based web browser, and I need to be able to save and load history for
each tab, to implement session saving. Is there any other way to achieve
this, or would it be able to add this functionality to the next PyQt
release?

Thanks,

David H. Bronke
Developer [kgb <http://kgb.com/>]